Colin Kaepernick has finally trained with an NFL team.
The former San Francisco 49ers QB practiced for the Las Vegas Raiders on Wednesday, multiple national media reported.
It’s his first practice with an NFL team since he last played in 2016. according to ESPN’s Adam Schefterwho broke the news.
Thursday morning, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport said Kaepernick was “impressed” during practice.
How is Colin Kaepernick connected to the Las Vegas Raiders?
- Last month, Raiders owner Mark Davis voiced his support for Kaepernick’s return to the NFL in a interview with NBC Sports Bay Area’s Monte Poole.
- “I believe in Colin Kaepernick,” he said. “He deserves every chance in the world to be a quarterback in the National Football League. I still stand by that. If our coaches and our general manager want to bring him in or want him to be the quarterback for this team, I would welcome him with open arms.
- Several national news outlets also pointed to another Kaepernick-Las Vegas connection: Raiders offensive coordinator Mick Lombardi was an assistant coach for the 49ers from 2013 to 2016 when Kaepernick played there.
Why isn’t Colin Kaepernick playing in the NFL?
- Kaepernick, 34, last played in the NFL in the 2016 season.
- It was the year he began kneeling during the United States national anthem to protest racial inequality and police brutality.
- He did not sign after that season.
- Last month, Kaepernick told the “I Am Athlete” podcast he sees his values more aligned with today’s NFL while explaining why he thinks his return to the NFL would benefit both parties.
- “You have ‘End Racism’ in the back of your end zone. You have ‘Black Lives Matter’ on your helmet. Everything I’ve said has to be consistent with what you say publicly,” he said, per ESPN. “It’s a $16 billion business. When I first took a knee, my jersey went to #1. When I made the deal with Nike, their value went up by $6 billion. $6 billion. With a B
- “… So if you talk about the commercial side, it shows (that it is) beneficial. If you’re talking about the game side, come in, let me compete. You can rate me from there. The NFL is supposed to be a meritocracy. Come in, let me compete. If I’m not good enough, get rid of me. But let me come in and show you.
What’s happened with Colin Kaepernick since he last played?
- Kaepernick traveled to Seattle to meet the Seahawks in 2017, although the team ultimately did not sign him. by Schefter.
- He worked in front of NFL teams in 2019, by NFL.combut nothing came of it.
- In 2020, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell encouraged teams to sign the quarterback, by Axios.com.
- He also recently pitched in front of NFL scouts at halftime at Michigan’s spring game, by NFL.com.
- “Yeah. I know I have to find my way back,” Kaepernick said after Michigan’s spring game, according to NFL.com’s Grant Gordon. “So, yes, if I have to come as a backup, that’s fine, but that’s not where I’m staying. And when I prove that I’m a starter, I want to be able to walk the field as such. J I just need this opportunity to walk through the door.
What has Colin Kaepernick accomplished in his NFL career?
- Kaepernick went 28-30 as a starter in his six seasons with the 49ers — which included two trips to the playoffs with him as a starter — after San Francisco picked him up as a second-round pick in 2011.
- He threw for 12,271 yards, 72 touchdowns and 30 interceptions during his professional career, while completing 59.8% of his passes.
- Kaepernick also rushed for 2,300 yards and 13 touchdowns in his career, averaging more than 450 yards in his five years as a starter.
- He nearly led San Francisco to a title as a sophomore quarterback. Kaepernick replaced the injured Alex Smith mid-season in 2012 and led the team to Super Bowl XLVII, where they lost 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens.
What other quarterbacks do the Las Vegas Raiders have on their roster?
- Dererk Carr has been the Raiders’ starter since 2014, when the team used a second-round draft pick on him.
- He’s a three-time Pro Bowler and threw for nearly 32,000 yards and 200 touchdowns in his career while leading the Raiders to the playoffs twice.
- Carr signed a three-year contract extension worth $121.5 million earlier this offseason, according to Spotrac.
- The other three Raiders quarterbacks currently on their roster include Nick Mullens, Jarrett Stidham and rookie Chase Garbers.